Skip to main content

Skrull Protest and more...

Class was very interesting this week but I think I learned so much more from the protest that I attended on sat afternoon.
When i first arrived i noticed the men and women dressed up like various charcters. Some were superheros, others just wearing fun t-shirts, some dressed in what seem like military gear and more covered from head to toe in alien make-up. I have never attended something like this before and it was interesting to see some of these guys reactions when i can walking up in a sun dress. First I would like to note that i was one of 4 girls in the shop and there were probably over fifty people. I got more stares than I could have imagined. It was very intertaining. Also i found that everyone in the store seemed to want to help me with something or show me something interesting. After I lost in the gift give-away, I spoke with the head of the shop, who was extremely nice and enthusiastic. He actually opened my eyes to another side of comics which i hadnt really found any interest in before. We discussed the series LOST and the writer who also writes another graphic novel about the last man alive on the planet. I found it extremely intriguing and now I can proudly admit that I am a purchaser of comics. During this experience some stereotypes were definitely not true and others were reaffirmed. One that was not true was that I believed that comics had nothing to offer someone who enjoyed reading novels/ect. I thought they were too cartoonish or detailed to start reading now but I found very neat stories that have nothing to do with cartoons or superheros. Something that is most certainly true is that these type of guys are shocked when they see girls in comic book shops and they will offer a girl all the help and information that anyone could ever need.
Very neat experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Panther's Costume Designer Ruth E. Carter Breaks Down Her Iconic C...

Black Panther's Costume Designer Breaks Down T'Challa's Entrance Scene |...

Why blame comics for societal failure?

Why blame comics for societal failure? Society blamed comics for the societal failures because it was a fairly new industry, and as things seemed to go “wrong” they figured it must be comic books. When a child grew up during the war, his father was probably killing people and the military and his mother was probably making things in factories to help kill the opposition. The only things kids had to “babysit” them was comic books, and they read many different kinds. So when kids starting acting differently in this new generation the figured it must be the comic books. Society didn’t want to believe it may have been the internal and external scars war causes on the soldiers and their families. Also the fact that young unattended children are reading these comics may not be able to differentiate between fantasy and reality. When society fails it always needs a scapegoat then it was comic books next it was rock and roll. Society naturally resist change.