Skip to main content

the role of people within Watchmen.

This week we focused on the different roles of the characters within Watchmen. On Monday we were divided into groups and my group focused on the role of Dr. Manhattan. He was once a human and now a mechanic use of the government. He is a type of parallel, he's without feelings and emotions but yet he isn't numb. He longs for the memories in when he was human. He is dating Lorie, but does he really feel love for her? I think that Dr. Manhattan is a parallel for spies for governments. He represent people who have completely given up their lives to serve the Government but for a very great price. As within Germany with the Nazis these men were chosen or even forced to serve Hitler and they basically gave up their morality and committed very inhumane acts. How could a government force ordinary people to become robots for an unjust cause? That is what I feel Dr. Manhattan represents.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

On the eve of this momentous occasion...

I wish that I could've referenced the Doomsday Clock and titled this post something awesome like "Five minutes to midnight" but at that very time I will, in fact, be only moments away from seeing Watchmen with so many other drooling fangirls and boys (and you kinda lose that cool double meaning when this wasn't actually published at 11:55, you know?)... When we started reading the graphic novel in American Graphic Media, I'd heard of it but I really had no idea what I was getting myself into... A single-story comic series that you can study in depth for several weeks ? Not possible, right? Needless to say, I was mistaken. It's funny because the last issue of Watchmen came out a month after I was born. Yes, that's right - it's taken the lifetime of a college student for this groundbreaking graphic novel to finally be made into a film. And, like most epic cinematic productions, there was much squabbling, except this time it was for the very right of th...