Skip to main content

Reading Watchmen sure ain't like reading Batman


After reading the first three chapters of the Watchmen I can see why it would be listed as Time Magazine's 100 Best Novels. The story from the first panel is dark and gloomy and begins with the death of an important character, Edward Blake, the Comedian. This comic is unlike any we have read so far. Sure, Batman has been dark and gloomy at times, but he always had Robin there to brighten the panels. Perhaps the people working on Batman are not working as hard as Alan Moore to make sure a crucial social commentary on America in the late 1980s is made. I guess I need to read more, but I am having trouble understanding just what that commentary is supposed to be. I understand so far that the question the story poses a lot is, "Who watches the Watchmen?" meaning we should not have to depend on superheroes to survive. But is it worth it?

It is valid point to not depend on super beings for help because peoples self-reliance would be lost. However, from a comic book fan's point of view, I don't read comics for profound thinking. I don't read comics to question the authority of my government. Comics are a recreation for me. I read comics to enjoy a good ol' fashioned action adventure story of the good guys versus the bad guys with the latter always losing. I haven't finished reading the story, but it sure isn't like reading Batman. I'm not saying Watchmen is bad and should not exist. It's just not my cup of tea. I'll take the Caped Crusader or the Man of Steel any day.

Comments

If comics don't make you think, then what does? The whole beginning of comics before television and radio was a commentary on society, government, and civilization. I agree they are made to be fun, but you can't just dismiss the messages they give. Do you dismiss the messages in The Matrix because it's flashy? I haven't read Watchmen yet, but to say you never try to find an underlying message in comics is hard for me to understand.

Popular posts from this blog

Black Panther's Costume Designer Ruth E. Carter Breaks Down Her Iconic C...

Black Panther's Costume Designer Breaks Down T'Challa's Entrance Scene |...

Why blame comics for societal failure?

Why blame comics for societal failure? Society blamed comics for the societal failures because it was a fairly new industry, and as things seemed to go “wrong” they figured it must be comic books. When a child grew up during the war, his father was probably killing people and the military and his mother was probably making things in factories to help kill the opposition. The only things kids had to “babysit” them was comic books, and they read many different kinds. So when kids starting acting differently in this new generation the figured it must be the comic books. Society didn’t want to believe it may have been the internal and external scars war causes on the soldiers and their families. Also the fact that young unattended children are reading these comics may not be able to differentiate between fantasy and reality. When society fails it always needs a scapegoat then it was comic books next it was rock and roll. Society naturally resist change.