Skip to main content

Why did comics become “dark” in the 1980s?

Comics becoming “darker” during the 1980’s, I think had to do a lot with the time period. During the 80’s drugs and violence began to rise tremendously. Cocaine became a popular among celebrities and the wealthy and crack cocaine took over the inner cities making and created drug wars. The drug problem became the Reagan Administration launched the war on drugs in order to put a stop to the up rise of drug use. The comic book creators knew the people reading these comics were using drugs and the dark style of comics appealed to these people. The writers were also using these drugs and put them in a state of mind were dark and violent comics is what they wanted to write. The comic book industry also had a hard time attracting new readers. Most of the readers were older and have read comics since they were a kid. The writers need to make comics that appealed to a more mature audience and would keep their attention. The artwork in the comics also changed, the comics in the 1980’s and a more graphic and terrifying. The 1980’s overall created a new style for comic books.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...