Skip to main content

The impact of socially relevance stories in the late 1960s

During the 1960s there were many things going on socially that seemed to transfer onto the pages of comics. Super heroes that related to the troubling student aged population such as Spiderman discussed what was really going on during this time. For example drugs were a major issue over the course of this decade. People were experimenting with many new drugs. The hippie movement was a major advocate in experimentation. With drugs being apart of the culture, there were many negative outcomes. Frequent users became addicts in a fairly short period of time. It was not until later when America declared its “war on drugs”. In Spiderman the writers address the drug problem by bringing up the villain the green goblin. Norman Osborne is exposed to a gas like drug in an experiment causing him to become the crazy sociopath villain. He becomes one of Spiderman’s most frequent villains that he has to deal with. In the first comic that he appears in Peter Parker’s friend Harry Osborne, son of Norman, is dealing with a drug problem himself. Though they are prescribed, Harry is overdosing on his medication. It is the subtleties that Marvel reveals to the readers regarding the issues during the time.

Another problem in the 1960s was the unpopularity of the war in Vietnam. There were many student protests, and like usual Spiderman was one of the few comics that students could relate to. One of the issues of Spiderman is titled “crisis on campus”. Since most of the protests were on campuses, the title is pretty outspoken about what is happening in the real world. Issues beyond the war are also brought up. Civil rights are very important and the protests cover this issue as well. The cover shows black students standing up for their rights. Later the first black hero is written into the history books. The Black Panther who is African American helps create a hero that stands up for the civil rights movement. This is very important for African Americans because now they can read about how one can truly stand up for what he/she believes in.

All in all Spiderman has been an important spokesman for social justice for current events. Targeting the students, the writers were very successful in capturing the unrest that was happening during the 1960s.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...