Skip to main content

Discuss the impact of social relevance in comics in the 1960's

Social relevance has always been an important aspect to the comic book Super hero plot line. even in their golden age, WW2 comics dealt with the war and anxieties about it at home. They showed the strong wall of nationalism and the scary realizations of many soldiers, in there own misgivings about morality. It is no surprise that superhero's would have to update themselves as times worries and strengths changed.

In the 1960's comics took two routes one was to deal with social change from an authority figures perspective, and the other was to help be responsible for that social change. IT was mostly sen in DC comics but many superheros took jobs synonymous with their role as a super hero and peacekeeper. This removed the duality of lying about their day job, and it allowed them to show the perspective of authority to those protesting at the time as one of empathy despite commitment. DC shows that by working within the system peace can be achieved, or the MLK stance if you will.

Marvel characters reacted more like real people to the issue, taking sides and even sometimes disagreeing although disagreements where usually on fictional issues like whether or not the hulk was a safe crime fighter. In the Spider man comics dealing with drug abuse, the problem is ignored by papa Osborne (he scorns it as a racial issue), only to find his own son is abusing drugs as well. You won't find these kinds of heartwarming coincidences in the real world, but marvel did have a point that drug abuse was not limited to the poor and hopeless.

The idea that any social medium is cut off from its public is absurd; all art is made to be viewed and mass produced comic books are included in that. In fact to be commercially successful, I would argue that you have to pick a side, otherwise neither side will buy your product because they can neither condemn it or relate to it. The best stories where stories between ambiguous antagonists were the hero learns something new about the e way the world is run, and the 1960's created and atmosphere of ambiguous if you know what I mean.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...