Skip to main content

Comics in the 1980s

After the Comics Code was introduced, all comic books put that seal on the front cover. It was an indication that that comic book adhered not only to the rules of the comic book world, but also to the unwritten rules of society. They did not have overly sexual content or drug use or anything of that nature that the culture of the United States at the time would frown upon. In the 1980s however, comics took a turn to the dark side. The most notable of the comics that took this turn would be The Dark Knight Returns. Why did the industry take this turn though? The average age of comic book readers during this time was much older than in previous decades. What the industry was trying to do was to go back to its roots. Batman originally was a darker figure, someone who's parents were murdered in an alley. What they were trying to do was to get the comic book readers that may have ventured away from comic books to come back by trying to portray the new stories as similar to the ones at the beginning. The Dark Knight Returns also did not have the Comic Code seal on the cover. This was new for comic books, and it basically told people that this comic book did not want to follow the rules that were set for the industry. It was going on the edge to try to revive the industry and attract more readers. Did it work? The new superhero movies that have been rolling of the Hollywood assembly line are a good indication that this revival of the industry was successful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...