Skip to main content

The impact of socially relevance stories in the late 1960’s

“My life as Spider-man is probably as dangerous doing as any but I’d rather face a hundred super-villains than toss it away by getting hooked on hard drugs!”. This quote for Spiderman is very relevant to the times of the late 1960's. It is very blunt about how the man jumping from the roof was high and that time it was wrong to be high, even though it was a normality in the late 1960's with hippies. The United States was going through the Vietnam War and was having difficult times in the population. The late 1960's were filled with protests, mostly by college students, and about the Vietnam war draft. The teenagers were all about revolution and changing how things were happening; this was not only for college students but minorities were fighting for equality among the society.
Comics were a large part of the social movement and impacted society greatly. Comics were an escape from the real world and at that time there were many comic readers. The comics helped with social issues because they knew that the people in society that were doing the wrong things, were probably reading comics, because comics are not the high society readings. To put these things in comics had relativity to what was happening in real life, the comics just kind of put it in an "out of this world" concept.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...