Skip to main content

Discuss the impact of socially relevance stories in the late 1960s

Discuss the impact of socially relevance stories in the late 1960s. In the 1960 many social changes were developing in society. There was the civil rights movement, as well as the women’s rights movement. Because of both of these social changes the respective groups being discriminated against began to gain rights. One of the ways these groups are discriminated again is reputation in media. In comic books around this time we started seeing more African American super heroes. Heroes like Luke Cage, Black Panther and the Falcon were developing and becoming more popular and accepted in society by the people. Also the civil rights protest themselves were also being put into comic books. Also under ground comic were popular during this time. These comics became popular because they were filled with societal issues and subtly commented on what was going at the time. Often parodies and filled with satire, underground comics went outside the social norm with their comics, filled them with societal subtext and distributed them. Even in issue #68 of the Amazing Spider-man, Spider-man saves an African American drug addict falling off of building. At this time the government was cracking down on drug use and brought the dangers of various drug uses to the forefront of society. In Spider-man, Peter Parker discusses how bad drugs are and devote the entire issue to explaining how bad drugs are for you using subtle arguments or over text to the reader. Comic Book stories were greatly impacted by social changes and actions happening in the late 1960s

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...