Skip to main content

In terms of race, do comics offer stereotypes?

Yes,

Comics are a reflection of their author’s perceptions of society and therefore, if an author either buys into a pre-conceived (inaccurate) idea of what a race acts like then it would be hard to create a well rounded character of the misrepresented ethnicity. The original Black superhero Black Panther was the King of an advanced African nation that had been unspoiled by imperialism. I don’t think Stan Lee would have known how to write a liberated African American character in the 1960’s because with segregation he could do very little research and had very little firsthand experience. It’s hard to get to know someone you aren’t allowed to talk to and if you’re only looking at them from afar the lines will be blurry. Lee took the easy route by making his Black character removed from the American experience. The tribal lifestyle and rituals that dictate Black Panthers life can be seen as either interesting, or generalized but their infrequency in our world makes them a good idea for a super hero.

Comics can of course be accurate, especially in regard to the racial experiences when the author has a thorough grasp of what it means to have that background. Accuracy is important, but more important is creating a well rounded character; the less one dimensional a character is, the less they can fit into any one niche of a stereotype. The most important barrier (arguably) is adding black onlookers to the background of marvel stories. By creating an interracial background the stories were no longer in a pristine racial cleansed environment, but a form of the real world, and that gave African American characters a realistic chance to introduce themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...