Skip to main content

Why did comics become "dark" in the 1980s?

Comics always have been contain and showed violence. However, it is noticeably clear that there were increase of "darkness " darkness in terms of containing more violence theme and showing more graphic image of the crime and fight seen. There were reason for comic became more darker. Comics are reflection of society, and it is easy to see what was issues in that time when you look at comics during certain period. In the 1980's there were increase of crime rates and violence. Also, drugs were biggest social problems, at that time. Even some of the people who wrote comics were on drugs too. Therefore, to appeal, and get agreements from the public readers, they had to deal with what was going on at that time period. Which was violence seen of crime, and drugs. One of the great example might be the Batmen: the Dark Knight Returns. Ever character, even including Batman become more hardcore, and serious. For example; in earlier Batman stories, even bad guys like joker had somewhat mild-looking appearance and not as terrifying. However, in the Batman Dark Knight Returns, everyone became more freaky and edgy. This was the response of the new readers in the 1980's knowing that comics need to be darker to get readers interest and demand .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...