Skip to main content

Why blame comics for societal failure?

During the late 1940s and into the early 1950s many Americans were becoming with the turn that comic books were taking. Previously comic books mainly contained superheroes and positive messages, but now since there was less of a need for superheroes the industry looked for a different genre and stories to tell through comic books. The most successful genres that the industry came out with were the new type of crime comics and horror comics. These new crime comics were not the same as earlier crime comics, these comics depicted detailed crime scenarios and people getting shot on more than half of every picture in the book, and the criminals would not be punished until sometimes the very last frame of the book, giving the impression that punishment was so important to the story. Not unlike the crime comics the new genre of horror comics were just what they sound like a variety of horror stories told through the comic book medium. These stories were very gruesome showing people getting killed in a number of different ways. In one story a man killed his with and then ate her in order to get rid of the evidence. Due to these types of stories many people were becoming worried that they were having negative effect on their children and society as a whole, including Dr. Frederic Wertham. Dr. Wertham was very adamant about this subject and blamed comics for the numerous troubled youth that were his patients. In his article The Comics… Very Funny he directly blamed comics for the crimes and atrocities that children and teenagers committed, he found that the common factor between all of these cases was that all of these children read several comic books a day. Although he was a very well respected psychologist, I think that Dr. Wertham may have blown this whole blaming comic books for societal failures out of proportion. Reading crime and horror comics wouldn’t make anybody want to go out to murder and pillage any more than watching Bugs Bunny hit Daffy Duck over the head with a bat would make a child go out and do the same to his siblings.

Comments

Bill Svitavsky said…
Why do you believe Wertham was wrong about the bad influence of comics? Can you dispute the logic of his findings that the common factor between among juvenile delinquents was that they all read comics?

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...