Skip to main content

How Does Class Affect Our Perception of the Comic Image?

In my experience with comics, however brief, comics were just that, comics. Though I recall growing up with the occasional Superman or Batman, I never really wondered about the inspiration behind them or took them for more than face value. I remember the first day of class thinking, “How the hell is there an entire class devoted to comic books?” That question was quickly answered the moment I opened up McCloud’s Understanding Comics and skimmed through the pages. My perception of comics being simplistic, illustrated, short stories was quickly changed to one of appreciation for the science and psychology involved in making them. I would have never guessed that placement of panels, coloring, and spacing was so deliberately controlled to create a tone or response from the reader.

Another aspect of the comic that fascinates me is the level of depth of the sub plots in many notable comics. For instance, before this class if someone had asked me what Tarzan was about, I would probably look at them skeptically and talk about a man getting abandoned in the jungle and being raised by apes. The subtle themes of inferiority of foreign culture and the white race’s superior genetics shocked me. The author’s use of these underlying messages is so successful because they appeal to a wider audience. Children could read Tarzan and see it as I did, a story. And at the same time a more mature audience capable of understanding the subtle plot is still interested.

As an avid history fan, learning about an alternate culture throughout the 20th century that I hadn’t had much knowledge of previously is exciting. My knowledge of the history of comics was fairly limited and extended to a basic understanding of popular superheroes. Reading about the effect of comics on events I learned about in a more traditional history class is interesting as, although comics are so popular, I wouldn’t have guessed they would have been influenced by things like wars and the Great Depression.

Another astounding aspect of comics, to me, is the varying political undertones. Throughout the 20th century comics touched on topics anywhere from the first and second war to the urbanization of America. The pre WWII era disputes between pro war supporters and isolationists were not left from comics. The fact that the cover of the first Captain America portrays a picture of the Captain punching Hitler in the face conveys the fact that comic authors weren’t trying to sell a simple action story. It’s already clear from the first three weeks of class that comics have played a much larger role in popular culture throughout the 20th century than I would have ever imagined.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...