Skip to main content

Why Blame Comics for Societal Failure?

During WWII, Comics were used to fire everyone up for war. People loved seeing the countries enemies being punished in the comics. The best example of this is Captain America’s first comic book cover. It is a picture of him punching Adolf Hitler in the face. Everyone began to love Captain America because of this. But after WWII there was no need for these types of comics. No more heroes were saving America from its enemies. The comic world needed to turn to something new. This is where the comics became responsible for societal failure. The comic book writers began to implore violence into their comics. The comics were very dark. Filled with horror and violence, the kids reading these comics became attached to violence. Kids love looking up to role models and when your role model is violent, the kid becomes violent. The youth is always the future and when the youth is becoming more violent, there is a problem. The government believed that the comics were making the children more violent so they came up with codes for the comic book writers. These codes limited what the comic book writers could write about. The censorship of comics hurt the comic book industry, but the government was in control. I really don’t believe that comics are the reason for societal failure at all. At the time of this incident, the economy was booming. Coming out of a war that we won and being done with the depression, America was in a good place. The comic book world did not ruin the society by any means.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...