Skip to main content

The 1950s are often portrayed as a period of social cohesion, why is this misleading?

The 1950s as a period of cohesion is misleading because of the great controversy over comic books that divided the nation. Although the 1950s was seen as a great decade of prosperity and the era of the housewife, the post-war decade experienced a baby boom that impacted the way people felt about the influence of the media, especially comic books. Comic books became the target for most dissenters, which is the main reason that using social cohesion to describe the 1950s is misleading. The nation was not united in their thought-process towards comic books. The nation, especially, became disunited when horror comics were first created and grew to become very popular among the youth.

Although we think of the 1950s as being cohesive because of popular television shows from that time period, this was not always the case. After the war, Americans began to experience consumerism, which changed society. Material goods became the concentration of Americans, which also divided society as people were at different economic levels, which affected their rate of consumption. Even as the war ended, there remained the threat of communism that was starting to build fear and tension until it reached its peak in the 1960s.As society changed, it affected the stories found in comic books. One of the main themes in comic books that I believe kept Americans divided was the theme of horror and gore.

We usually see the fifties as a conservative period, but certain comic books did not follow the notion of conservatism. The horror comics concerned many Americans about their impact on children. It became such a wide and controversial issue that many Americans believed that these comic books would corrupt their children, especially Wertham. He was against all horror and gory comic and told stories of children behaving violently because of reading these kind of comics. It became a widespread concern even though the comic book creators themselves did not think of it as being a major issue, which was the reason for such a division among Americans. This concern remained relevant even after the comic book code was made. It was evident that it remained an issue after the code when television specials were made warning people about the negative aspects comic books were causing to society. The television special showed children becoming angry and violent because they spent most of their time reading comic books after school. Specials such as these impacted the thought-process of regular Americans since the media and government had a negative outlook on comic books. For this and many other reasons, the fifties cannot described as a cohesive society.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...