Skip to main content

How Have We Changed Our Definition of the Comic Form Over Time?

Comics have been a part of the history of humans for thousands of years. Comics can date back to the ancient eygptians telling stories with hieroglyphics, or even cave paintings. This is the earliest form of sequenced story telling, and is essentially the root of all comic forms. The acctual comic form that we think of now didn't really come about until the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Today, we know comics as either strips in the newspaper or comic books sold in stores.
When comics first came out, they were found in the newspaper as very short strips that told a short and simple story. These first comics, such as The Yellow Kid, had little to no words in them, and the words in them were very simple and to the point. As time progressed, however, comics began to get more detailed and contained more depth. They started to tell stories that were longer and contained more content.
This type of comic form is what helped the comic world to transition in to what we now call the golden age. This is where many of the superheroes we know and love today came from, such as superman and batman. Essentially, the type of comics that were made in this era is not too far off from the definition of the comic form we think of today.
The comic form we think of today has much more detail than anyone from the early 20th century could have imagined. The author almost makes the reader interpret the story by his or her self. Yes, there are transitions and emotions that the author puts in the comic, but for the most part, we as the reader are left to intepret what is actually happening in the comic. For me, the fact that the author leaves room for the reader's thought while still depicting a story is the best thing aboout comic forms today.







Comments

J Chambliss said…
We always want to be precise in our descriptions of comics. While Golden Age can be use to refer to superhero comics in the 1930s and 1940s, the same terms would not be used to describe newspaper strips. Keep these distinctions in mind.

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...