Skip to main content

Does class affect our perception of the comic image? If so, how?

Does class affect our perception of the comic image? If so, how? This class has definitely affected my perception of the comic image. When I was younger I would always read comics about Iron man, Spider man, Superman, Batman, Avengers, etc. but while reading these comics i never noticed the things I do now. In this class I’m learning the science of comics, kind of how they are created and the origins of them, before I never paid attention to white space, or panel sequence. Now I can look at certain comics or even look back at my old comics and say “oh hey, that’s how they did that”.
Also, when I was younger teachers would tell me how comics are silly and would rot my brain. They would go on saying that there was no educational value in comics and it was mindless reading. Now I am realizing “is there a such thing as “Mindless Reading”? I this class I have learned comics do have educational value, one of the most evident examples of this the first book we were taught with in this very class was in fact a comic book. Another, example of comic books educational value would be how you read comic books. With regular books you just move your eyes from left to right reading the words. With comic books you are reading panels left to right maybe up and down or side to side, and you are creating a moving sequence out of pictures and words next to each other.
This class has definitely affected my perception of the comic image. It has affected the way I read them, the way I look at people who devoted their lives to comics, the way I look at comic book creators and ultimately this class has affected the way I look at comics in general.

Comments

Bill Svitavsky said…
Sometimes it's what you do in perceiving that determines whether something is "mindless entertainment" or not. It's good that you're considering more what thought went into the creation of comics. As the class progresses, you might also consider not only what ideas the creators intended to convey, but the messages they didn't necessarily intend, but which just resulted from their assumptions and attitudes.

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...