Skip to main content

Reflections on TEDxOrlando - Julian Chambliss - Superheroes and the U.S. Experience



My TEDx Orlando talk on the origin of Superheroes and their connection to the urban experience is on YouTube. I want to thank all those people who have sent me such nice comments and feedback.

It was a great experience. I think the talk went well, but of course looking at it now I can see those things I would do differently. My goal with this presentation was to give broad outline of the evolution of adventure stories and their link to anxiety facing Americans. Of course, I was also thinking about what makes a good TED talk. So, I tried to keep it clean and clear. There were characters I didn't talk about--Doc Savage being the obvious one and questions about race and identity that I did not flush out. For people who want to know more, my research is available through the Rollins Institutional archive. The article I co-wrote with William Svitavsky, From Pulp Hero to Superhero gives a much fuller explanation of the complex evolution associated with the rise of the superhero. So for those wanting to know more, there you go. I currently thinking about the re-emergence of the pulp character in popular culture. The neo-pulp phenomenon is bring back pulp inspire characters. The implication of this revival shed light on how contemporary U.S. society is expressing collective desire for heroic action.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Panther's Costume Designer Ruth E. Carter Breaks Down Her Iconic C...

Black Panther's Costume Designer Breaks Down T'Challa's Entrance Scene |...

Black Kirby: An Afrofuturist Homecoming