Skip to main content

Were comics at the forefront of social transformation or laggging behind in the 1960's?

Comic books in the 1960’s were certainly at the forefront of social transformation. Comics in the 60’s used many topics and events that were around during that time period. They used currents events in their stories to keep their readers interested and active in reading their comics. The cold war and Vietnam War were common topic written about in comics during the 60’s. These common topics kept comic book in completion with the television and radio which had taken over the media outlet. Another thing comic book writers did to keep comics progressing going was to recreate some of the comic book characters. The writers made the characters more realistic and humanized and seem like an average person when he not fighting crime, this allowed readers to better connect with the characters and understand them. Spider man was a one of the bigger characters that was recreated. He was Made into and nerdy college kid with an average life who gained powers after he was bitten by a radioactive spider. At first he didn’t try and stop crime, but tried to use his power for personal gain like any average person would do. Only when tragedy strikes does he realize he needs to use his power for the safety of the people. Many stories were revamped on this sort of manner. With the new themes and characters I think comic books were towards the top of social transformation. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...