Skip to main content

Are Comics Inherently Sexist?

During the time period that comics first became a form of published media, the roll of women in society was much different than it is today. Women today hold very prominent roles in society including the government, celebrities, CEOs of large businesses and corporations, as well as in Police Departments and even the military. If the first edition of Wonder Woman came out today, society would absolutely attack it as a sexist comic that puts down women. This is really only because of the prominent role of women in today's society. Back in the time period of Wonder Woman, women were encouraged to take on the role of the "housewife". It was not something that was looked down upon or that meant women were not fulfilling their potential. It was what was encouraged of women, and what was expected.
There weren't many female super heroes in comic books, Wonder Woman being the most famous and prominent. Some say that because of this comic books are sexist. They say that the writers don't believe that women are capable of what men are, and therefore they don't depict them as heroes and powerful. I disagree with this. The comic book characters are created more for the target demographic. Most comic book readers are males. This is why the overwhelming majority of comic book heroes are males. Its not because women aren't capable of what men are, it has to do with what is going to sell the most comics. The comic book business is after all a business, so the writers have to keep the readers happy.
So are comics inherently sexist? No not on purpose. Sure today the comics of the earlier 20th century may come of as sexist, but at the time they were widely accepted as a legitimate reflection of what the culture was.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...