Skip to main content

Are comics inherently sexist?

Comics must be inherently sexist. Despite the influx of female readers, there are just more male readers of comics. I don't want to stereotype, but comics fans generally have problems with women, and therefore, comics objectify women to play off of male reader's fantasies. Lets look at a few female characters in comics: Bat-Girl, Bat-Woman, Supergirl, and Wonder Woman. After Frederick Wortham suggested that Batman and Robin were possibly homosexual, creators introduced Bat-Girl as a romantic love interest to Batman. Bat-Woman was also created as a love interest to Batman, but she was created more as a copy of Batman, but with lipstick and other female products on her utility belt. This suggests that even a female copy of a male character is unable to escape issues of gender. Bat-Woman was depicted this way for much of her life, but new creators in 2006 brought Batwoman back as Kate Kane. Not only was she no longer Batman's love interest, she was a lesbian! Big shocker there. But it represents one of the few female characters escaping from the stereotype as just a romantic love interest for a male character. Supergirl, is contradictory to this portrayal because not only was she Superman's cousin, but she had all the same powers and weaknesses as Superman. The only difference, she was weaker, but Superman is more powerful than all other entities, so why not? That leaves Wonder Woman. She is unique. But she falls prey to redesign. In her redesign, they strip away her powers and make her inferior to all superheroes. She is no longer included in DC's all male cast of superheroes. She is more like Batman, but not...

I'd really like to say comics are not inherently sexist, but that is a lie. Comics have always and will always be sexist. From the overly pronounced curves of their female characters to the death/depowering of female characters to their role as a romantic love interest to men, female characters, sadly, are underwritten and under appreciated so as to fulfill society's expectations that a woman can be neither strong nor independent. This, however, is changing, so maybe there will be a shift and re-emergence of females in comics as equals or superiors to the men.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...