Skip to main content

Are comics inherently sexist?

In the 40’s and 50’s not only did comic book writers treat their female characters as objects of lust and annoyance, but they simplified their goals in life down to children and marriage. We can partially blame this on the comics books code and society, because most women were starting families with their husbands and the societal norm was more likely to buy comic books that promoted the values shared by millions of American families. The code also make it hard to diverge a characters motivations from the assumed average desires ; so for women whose only valid option was a home life, this stifled their comic characters options immensely. Male characters had more options within the male sphere because while working an office job was common, it was not the ultimate goal of most men. A man could do almost any job so long as his family was taken care of, meaning Clark Kent could work in TV, Bruce Wayne could be a playboy (not common but still an iconic male figure at the time outside of comics), but Diane Prince was a secretary waiting for the world to be safe enough for her to get married.

I think the most taxing attribute to Wonder Woman’s powers was that she would lose them if she ever got married, which implies that a women is only of use to society as a virgin which is a total double standard. Bruce Wayne probably got laid all the time, he was rich and he practically paid women to hang out with him at events and Superman, well he’s super. Meanwhile Wonder Woman’s ove interest is tying her to refrigerators and barely even likes her alter ego. These portrayals were relevant in their time, but hardly stand as timeless examples of the roles of men and women.

Now, after a women’s movement and a popularization of the concept that women and men are equal, Comic books are taking huge strides in creating female role models. While fan service still exists, there is now fan service towards a female and homosexual audience in addition to the original female panty shots. Readership is no longer a little boys club, but a diverse wall of independent thinkers (and children who need socially responsible heroes). Comics are consistently an extension of their creator’s beliefs so if a creator has a sexist bias then any female characterization in his work will be tainted with his limited understanding of women. Women in comic books reflect their time through their writer’s lens.

Comments

J Chambliss said…
So comics are not sexist, society in general has problems with presenting women?

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...