Skip to main content

Supercrooks Movie Teaser Trailer


 
The teaser for Mark Millar's SUPERCROOKS.

A trailer for a comic book?


This should give you (and me) pause.  Isn't print dying? The evolution (devolution) of publishing is a constant narrative in modern media. Yet, if this teaser trailer suggests anything, it challenges our conception of the modern media landscape.  Are we  misguided in our assumption of failure? 

Perhaps a more accurate assessment of publishing is that established media companies are struggling to maintain a revenue model created in the nineteenth century. They are trying and failing to support a system created before computers and the internet splintered the mass audience.  The democratization of the modern media means producers can't promise their distribution network will reach a critical audience.  In contrast, digital born entities, smaller creators and firms willing to innovate, can and do use the digital tool and dynamic media landscape to their advantage. They can and do target narrow more self-defined audience motivated by their unique product. It is not a mass audience in the classic sense, but it can be a global audience. 

From academic publication to newspaper to brick and mortar bookstores, the world of print seems to be struggling.  Yet, the common criticism that people don't read is clearly wrong. The explosion of blogs, twits, and related social media requires...reading!  So, what we are witnessing is millions and millions of people reading differently.  Does that mean they do not read deeply or engage with thoughtful content?  I think the answer is no.  People navigate a large and complex media environment, processing a massive amount of data.  They will read deeply if they are motivated to do so.  The key is motivation, and comics motivated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics Ch. 1-2 & Comic Book Nation Ch.1

To begin with, I really do like the idea of reading a comic about comics. I think it's a great idea and it's very well executed. As I was reading the first two chapters, I was surprised at how many examples there were of art in recent (and ancient, in some cases) history that are variations of "sequential visual art" and thus the foundations of modern comics. I'd never even thought about it before and it was hard to believe how many different kinds there were. I also love all the discussion about how our human brains automatically interpret certain images in a specific way, how we see others constantly but we identify ourselves when we look at cartoons, and how inanimate objects automatically becomes extensions of our bodies. The pyramid of styles was very interesting too as a way to conceptualize and almost graph or "place" a specific art style in comics. In Comic Book Nation , I enjoyed reading about the evolution of early comics from "funnies...

MegaCon 2011 Mobile Blog Entry

Next up, the Crime Noir Panel hosted by The Rack Pack Comic Podcast . Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cook and Dave Johnson are the speakers. MegaCon has matured as the comic industry has grown in importance in popular culture. Orlando's native convention should be attracting this kind of top talents and now it seem to be doing it.

Adrian Veidt

Even though I have not completely finished chapter ten, I was so excited to see that the Minute men had the same hypothesis that I did, being that Adrian Veidt was behind the murders.  My reasoning began when I recalled that earlier in the minute men's career he, Adrian, ditched them and went off on his own.  I have since wondered what his reasoning for doing so was, but after the last few pages, the idea of ultimate power comes to mind.  If Adrian is the leader of a huge corporation and has all of this power and basically his own continent, being probably the only powerful person to live on Antarctica, all that is left standing in his way of doing what he wants are those who might be equally as powerful as him or more so.  The only people that fit into this category of people who might be able to stop him are the minute men or other masked heros.  I further believe that Adrian does not care what he has to do to make money and achieve power.  One letter to him addresses him wanting...